[rspec-users] reusable specs - almost there

David Green justnothing at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Aug 5 15:43:16 EDT 2007

that's a great point, but there are some things about shared behaviours I
don't like. for example, I have 14 different contexts I'm testing (and more
to come) in 8 controllers.

I can do this:

describe MyController do
  it_should_behave_like "context 1"
  it_should_behave_like "context 2"
  .
  .
  it_should_behave_like "context 14"
end

but then I lose the context info in the output, it just displays one long
list of examples.
The alternative is:

describe MyController, "context 1" do
  it_should_behave_like "context 1"
end
describe MyController, "context 2" do
  it_should_behave_like "context 2"
end
.
.
describe MyController, "context 14" do
  it_should_behave_like "context 14"
end

this way the context info is preserved in the output, but it's more work,
especially across 8 controllers.

another thing is, depending on the model being used, controllers will
instantiate variables of different names. e.g. in the "dvd" controller, an
instance of the Dvd model would be stored in @dvd, whereas in the "book"
controller, it would be in @book . using dynamic specs, I can make my
examples more specific depending on the controller being tested e.g. :

# obj and var passed in as parameters
it "should load a #{obj.class} object into @#{varname}" do
  get :show
  assigns[var_name].should == obj
end

I could put obj and varname into instance variables in the before() method,
but they're only available in the example block, not from the example title

these are minor complaints really, but as my project grows, they become more
of an issue.