[rspec-users] Test if view renders appropriate partial?

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 11:07:07 EDT 2007

On 4/12/07, Chris Hoffman <bosshoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>   Well, that site ostensibly showcases just the syntax I need to pull
> off what I'm looking for, but I am unable to get it working.  In fact,
> I fail to see how stubbing out 'render' under @controller.template
> could possibly work, given David's discourse above.
>   Has anyone here actually tried the code in this post?
>
> -Chris

I just got this working:

#spec/views/thing/outer_partial_rhtml_spec.rb
require File.dirname(__FILE__) + '/../../spec_helper'
describe "/thing/_outer_partial" do
  it "should render inner_partial" do
    @controller.template.should_receive(:render).with(:partial =>
"inner_partial")
    @controller.template.should_receive(:render).with(:partial =>
"other_inner_partial")
    render 'thing/_outer_partial'

#app/views/thing/thing/_outer_partial.rhtml
<%= render :partial => "inner_partial" %>
<%= render :partial => "other_inner_partial" %>

This works just fine. Is there something you're trying to do that this
example is missing?