[rspec-users] ANN: RSpec 0.9.0 beta-1 available for download.

aslak hellesoy aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 12:33:01 EDT 2007

We'd like to get some feedback on RSpec 0.9 before we start pushing
out releases via Rubyforge's gem server and update the website. We
have therefore made the first beta of 0.9 available - both prepackaged
and tagged in subversion (see below).

RSpec 0.9 introduces a new API for expectations, which essentially
means that your underscores go away (there has been other discussions
on the lists about this). In addition to this, you can say describe/it
instead of context/specify. We believe this will lead to even more
readable - and well-written specs. (context/specify will still be
supported for a while).

== Translator ==
In order to ease the transition from 0.8 to 0.9, we have included a
tool to translate your 0.8 style specs to 0.9 style. After installing
the 0.9 gem, you should run:

spec_translator path_to_my_spec_dir path_to_my_translated_spec_dir

(or alternatively, if you have your code under version control and can
do a revert if things go wrong:)

spec_translator path_to_my_spec_dir path_to_my_spec_dir

(This will translate your specs in-place)

== Where to get it ==

RSpec core is available here:

* http://rspec.rubyforge.org/rspec-0.9.0.gem
* http://rspec.rubyforge.org/rspec-0.9.0.tgz
* http://rspec.rubyforge.org/rspec-0.9.0.zip
* http://rspec.rubyforge.org/RSpec-0.9.0.tmbundle.tgz

== Rails users ==
For those of you who want to install 0.9 beta as plugins, the svn URLs are:
* svn://rubyforge.org/var/svn/rspec/tags/REL_0_9_0_BETA_1/rspec
* svn://rubyforge.org/var/svn/rspec/tags/REL_0_9_0_BETA_1/rspec_on_rails

(Don't forget to do do a "script generate rspec" to update your local files)