[Rspec-users] overriding mock expectations

Micah Martin micah at 8thlight.com
Mon Oct 23 18:34:00 EDT 2006

There is one annoyance I'm encountering with the  Mock API in rSpec.
Overall it works well, as far as dynamic mocks go ;)... but there's
this one thing... It doesn't allow overriding of expectations.

example:

m = mock("blah")
m.should_receive(:one).any_number_of_times().and_return(1)
m.should_receive(:one).and_return(1)

The second call to should_receive is ignored.  I believe it would be
most convenient if the second call to should_receive would override
the first.

Why?

What I would like to do is define all the should_receives once in the
setup using any_number_of_times.  This establishes a default
context.  Then in each spec I'd like to override a specific
should_receive relevant to the spec.

Without being able to override, I am force to define all the
should_receives for each spec..... duplication.

Is there another solution I'm missing?

Micah Martin
8th Light, Inc.
www.8thlight.com