[rspec-users] [Rspec-users] How to run edge RSpec (on Rails)?

George Anderson george at benevolentcode.com
Wed Nov 1 21:46:31 EST 2006

Thanks, Aslak.  I *think* I've got it straight now. And my apologies for
injecting noise into the tracker.  My mistake.

Does this sound like the proper way to track edge RSpec and RSpec on Rails
development?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Check out RSpec trunk from: svn://rubyforge.org/var/svn/rspec/trunk
Check out RSpec trunk into its own project, or if you're interested in
using/learning RSpec for a particular Rails project, consider using
svn:externals to check out RSpec trunk into your [RailsRoot]/vendor
directory:

svn propset svn:externals "rspec svn://rubyforge.org/var/svn/rspec/trunk"
vendor

then update to grab the latest code from RSpec trunk:

svn update vendor

Next, build the gem.  You have to be standing in vendor/rspec if you're
using svn:externals (as described above) or the root of RSpec if you checked
it out as its own project.

rake gem

then install it:

gem install pkg/rspec-X.X.X.gem (where X.X.X is the version number reported
in the output from "rake gem")

(Note: you can always uninstall the *edge* RSpec gem via "gem uninstall
rspec")

Now that you've installed the *edge* RSpec gem, you MUST install the *edge*
RSpec on Rails plugin:

script/plugin install -x
svn://rubyforge.org/var/svn/rspec/trunk/vendor/rspec_on_rails/vendor/plugins/rspec

This will install the RSpec on Rails plugin via svn:externals so it will
always track trunk development.

One last, MANDATORY step:  you must bootstrap your Rails app with RSpec.
Standing in [RailsRoot]:

script/generate rspec

Be sure to overwrite files if prompted.

In summary:
1. check out RSpec trunk
2. build the gem
3. install the gem
4. install the RSpec on Rails plugin from trunk
5. bootstrap you Rails app with RSpec
6. there is no step 6! (with apologies to Instiki)

I think those steps are fairly accurate, but I'd appreciate any critical
input.

I'd be happy to markup the steps for inclusion in
http://rspec.rubyforge.org/documentation/rails/ if it would be appropriate.

Thanks again for your help,

George

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=6411&group_id=797&atid=3149