[rspec-users] Advice with Model tests

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 10:50:20 EST 2006

On 12/21/06, Rodrigo Alvarez Fernández <papipo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm developing a rails applicaton with specify-before approach, with
> nice results so far.
>
> I use mocks and stubs in both Controller and views tests, but the main
> issue is with model testing. Since I've seen many examples here and
> there, I don't know if the right way is to use fixtures or not at all
> (in model specs).
>
> Atm, I'm using them, but I don't know if I should use mocks for
> associations, all real fixture data...
>
> This example http://rspec.rubyforge.org/documentation/rails/writing/models.html
> uses both approachs (data generated on setup (but no mocks), and data
> from fixtures).
>
> Please, help me!
>
> Apart from that, I really like this way of testing. I just want to do
> it the right way.

The "right" way doesn't really exist. It depends largely on the nature
and complexity of your app. That said, my personal preference is to
avoid fixtures and just create what I need in each spec. That's
because I like to see everything I need to understand the context.

This approach creates more duplication in specs, but less binding
between them. For me, the isolation is *usually* more important than
the duplication.

David