[rspec-users] Rspec/Ruby to test software written in other languages?

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Sun Dec 17 15:42:12 EST 2006

Is anyone here using Rspec and Ruby to test software written in other
languages? I'm about to start an R language project, and may also be
doing some work in another language (I'm not sure which one yet, but
it's one of the ones that's part of the Axiom symbolic math package).
I'd dearly love a test framework that can handle all three languages,
rather than using Rspec for Ruby, R's own "RUnit" for the R code, and
yet another framework, if even one exists, for the third language.

I've spent a couple of weeks familiarizing myself with the basic Rspec
tool set. A lot of this is new to me, and seems very strange. Most of
the projects I work on involve translating known algorithms on known
data types into working code in some language, and there are usually
test cases given in the books. So my typical modus operandi is to punch
the whole algorithm into a file, punch the test case into another file,
and iterate until everything works.