[rspec-users] RSpec and simply_helpful

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 04:25:53 EST 2006

On 12/13/06, Chris Anderson <jchris at mfdz.com> wrote:
> Specrs,
> Just a fly on the wall perspective here, but based on the behaviour
> I'm seeing, it seems like RSpec is reimplementing a lot of the Rails
> test goodies. Is there a reason not to write simple wrappers for
> Rails' asserts, or something, so RSpec doesn't have to work so hard to
> keep up with changes in core?

Ah, that would be lovely! Many of the goodies use different
approaches, so I'm not sure a single wrapper mechanism would work.
What would be fantastic in the long run would be a world in which the
various goodies were not tied so directly to test/unit, allowing
either framework to use it. But that would require a critical mass of
rails developers who prefer to work w/ rspec and I think that's a LONG
way off if even possible.

> I speak as someone who's only glanced at the RSpec code, so maybe I
> should just keep it to myself.

Not at all. We want this to be usable and useful.

> I do enjoy using RSpec with Ruby code,
> and I can't wait for the day the Rails implementation is stable.

You are NOT alone!

> Also, why not package the Rails plugin in the gem releases? It might
> help with the version mismatch problems. I know; I should PDI.

We've been talking about that. Originally it was a gem, but we made it
a plugin sometime ago - I think it was when we added the generators.
But the mismatch problem is a pain in the ass, so perhaps a gem is the
right approach.

> If a core developer could do a walk through of RSpec internals, like
> Jamis has been doing with ActiveRecord, surely I'm not the only one
> who would appreciate it.

Are you talking about RSpec core or the rails plugin? I'm not sure
when time will allow for this, but I'll take it under advisement. It
could provide a great opportunity for us all to better understand
where things are now and the most pragmatic path to where we want to