[rspec-users] RSpec impressions

Chris Anderson jchris at mfdz.com
Fri Dec 8 04:26:47 EST 2006

After a long week agonizing over a scheduling library, and then
specing it out rather quickly, I've got some work I'm pretty happy
with.

As a contrast to Test::Unit, I like the way RSpec spreads my attention
around the codebase while I concentrate on implementing specific
behaviours. In Test::Unit, I tend to write tests around the private
methods of the object under test.

I enjoyed thinking about the library through its public API.  A few
months ago, I made an attempt at writing this library with Test::Unit,
and results were nigh unrefactorable. Writing from scratch with RSpec
gave me a faster library, in less time, with less code, while worrying
less about code duplication.

With RSpec, I build up behaviour, a little at a time, filling in the
methods only when I need to. More taste, less filling.

The full length of my ramblings are posted on the blog:
http://jchris.mfdz.com/code/2006/12/rspec_and_recurring__schedule

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com