[rspec-devel] How to regenerate Cucumber docs?

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 20:31:34 EST 2011

On Jan 31, 2011, at 5:23 PM, Jo Liss wrote:

> I'd like to make some improvements to the documentation of RSpec, but
> I'm stuck on how to regenerate the Cucumber documentation.  I'm almost
> embarrassed to ask this on the list, but: How do I generate the pretty
> HTML output (like
> http://relishapp.com/rspec/rspec-core/v/2-4/dir/example-groups/basic-structure-describe-it
> ) from the Cucumber feature description (like
> https://github.com/rspec/rspec-core/raw/v2.4.0/features/example_groups/basic_structure.feature
> )?

At the moment there is no way for you to do it. Relishapp does the formatting and is not open source.

But you don't need to submit updates in that format. All I do is update the cukes as I normally would, and then push them up to relishapp using the relish gem (which _is_ open source). So if you submit a pull request, I can merge it in and it'll be part of my next push to relishapp.

In terms of formatting, the only place you have any control is in the narrative, and it uses Markdown. Just keep in mind that the left margin is calculated by the position of the left-most characters in the narrative. That's important if you've got any code in the narrative.

Does that work for you?