[rspec-devel] RSpec, autospec, console redirection, colors and Windows

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 19:22:18 EST 2010

Hello Guys,

I've been working on update win32console gem, which is the one that
provides ANSI coloring for Windows to work with Ruby 1.9.1

Released 2 weeks ago 1.3.0.beta1

And received the following bug report.

I can confirm that I can reproduce the issue indicated there consistently.

Every time that color has been enabled in the spec options for the
child process, it terminates itself suddenly terminating autospec too.

I've tried to recreate this scenario with as a minimal scenario:

All this using Ruby 1.9.1, of course.

Using either the options file or the --colour option, ends with no
color from the redirected process.

To complicate things a bit more, seems that the process itself do not
terminate, or the usage of $stderr do not affect the outcome.

So, I can reproduce the issue reported here using autospec, but I
can't using what I think autospec should be doing.

I would like to be able to enable the child process color to mimic
autospec behavior and see if is win32console fault or not.

Any hint or suggestion?

Thank you for your time,
Luis Lavena
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry