[rspec-devel] require 'rubygems'

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 07:12:22 EDT 2009

2009/3/26 Peter Fitzgibbons <peter.fitzgibbons at gmail.com>:

> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 3:08 AM, Jim Weirich <jim.weirich at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 26, 2009, at 3:04 AM, David Chelimsky wrote:
>>
>>> That's essentially what's happening in this branch, though it's
>>> wrapped in a method to reduce duplication.
>>
>> Duplication?  How many places need to do this?
>>
>> Seems to me that any libraries don't need this.  By the time the libraries
>> are loading, rubygems should already be loaded (otherwise the libraries
>> wouldn't have been found).
>>
>> I only put this in the top level application code.  One place.
>>
>> At least this is true for rake.  Is rspec different?
>
> I'm with you.  Also this seems to also be taken care of through RUBYOPT, no?

Setting RUBYOPT means that all of your programs always load the
rubygems machinery even if you're not using rubygems. While I realize
that most of us use gems in nearly all (if not 100%) of our projects,
I think there is a case for saying "don't make me load rubygems unless
I need it" that is equally as strong as "don't force me to use
rubygems as my gem-loading strategy."

David