[rspec-devel] [Cucumber] new usage formatter

Ben Mabey ben at benmabey.com
Sat Mar 21 23:25:12 EDT 2009

aslak hellesoy wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 7:12 PM, Dr Nic Williams
> <drnicwilliams at gmail.com <mailto:drnicwilliams at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     > I'm hoping the Following TODOs from Cucumber.tmbundle can use this:
>     >
>     > Goto step definition from feature file.
>
>     Currently works with Shift+Alt+Cmd+Down
>

> Yes, but that is based on code in the bundle right? Isn't it better to
> use "official" Cucumber code for this?
>
> Aslak

+1.  I think we should keep as much functionality in Cucumber so other
editors can leverage the functionality.

>     > From a step definition be able to pull up a list of features
>     using that step
>     > and to jump to them.
>
>     Yeah I want this too.

I'm going to take a stab at this now with the new usage formatter- very
nice!  I think the biggest drawback to this will be speed.  For example,
doing a dry-run on cucumber's own features takes ~2 seconds.  For a
rails project loading up the entire environment I think this would be
too slow to wait for everytime.  Any ideas on a caching strategy?
Storing a cached version of the output is easy enough, but knowing when
to expire the cache is somewhat tricky...

-Ben