[rspec-devel] [Proposal] change 'spec' to 'rspec'

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 23:49:02 EDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 1:42 AM, David Chelimsky <dchelimsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 10:29 PM, Luis Lavena <luislavena at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 1:22 AM, David Chelimsky <dchelimsky at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> The convention for gems is that the top level module shares a name
>>> with the gem, but rspec uses 'spec' instead, resulting in things like
>>> this:
>>>
>>> require 'rubygems'
>>> gem 'rspec'
>>> require 'spec'
>>>
>>> I'd like to propose that we change the 'spec' namespace to 'rspec'.
>>> We'd have to continue to support 'spec' for backwards compatibility
>>> for a long time, but we can do that with a few extra files that just
>>> require other files.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>
>> That recommendation is just to change the require, or the namespace also?
>>
>> Spec::*
>>
>> Becames RSpec::*
>>
>> For the initial require: +1
>> For the namespace change: -1
>
> I didn't really mention that, did I? I think it's the right thing to
> do, but obviously there are other opinions. Can you explain why you'd
> not want them to move together, as long as we also aliased the RSpec
> module with Spec?
>

>> --
>> Luis Lavena

To quote your own words:

"I'd like to propose that we change the 'spec' namespace to 'rspec'."

But the mail started with renaming the top level module to make the
initial require more compliant, so I got mixed feelings.

I any case, I use most of RSpec out of the box. If Spec namespace will
be deprecated, I hope will stay long enough for plugin developers move
to the new convention :-)

--
Luis Lavena
AREA 17