[rspec-devel] directory structure/naming

Ben Mabey ben at benmabey.com
Mon Sep 22 12:20:51 EDT 2008

David Chelimsky wrote:
> Hey all - we seem to have landed on "features", "scenarios" and "code
> examples" as the proper names for talking about ... well ... features,
> scenarios and code examples. If you don't know what I mean by those
> things, then maybe we still have a problem, but I'm guessing most of
> you do.
> So I'm thinking of a new directory structure:
> app-root
>> behaviour
>>> code-examples
>>> features
> I've always wanted to group these things together, but
> behaviour/examples never worked for me as behaviour/code-examples
> does.

 I really like the idea of grouping the two in a 'behaviour' directory.
I tend to have helpers that I use in both my examples and my features so
placing them both in the same directory makes sense from an organization
point of view.  (Plus, I really like having the name be 'behaviour'--
even if it is spelled wrong. :p)

I agree that the term code-examples is far less ambiguous than just
plain 'examples'.  The fact that we refer to them as examples and even
rspec internally treats them as examples does beg the question on how we
got stuck with specs in the first place.  While I like the idea of
code-examples I think that will be a much harder transition because so
many people are used to the name 'spec' at this point (including
myself.)  What is the main argument for ditching spec in favor of
code-example?  Less baggage?