[rspec-devel] cucumber steps and step matchers

aslak hellesoy aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 05:45:21 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 1:04 AM, David Chelimsky <dchelimsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> In cucumber, I've started to refer to the steps in the scenarios as
> "steps", and the code that defines them "step matchers":

I have also called them "step definitions"

There are two parts to it - the matcher (regexp) and the code (proc)

I think the code/implementation part is more important than the
matching part. So maybe we should call them "step_implementations"?

Vote:

"step matchers" - step_matchers/
"step definitions" - step_definitions/
"step implementations" - step_implementations/

> Scenario: blah
>  Given this is a "step"
>
> Given /this is step matcher/ do
>
> I'd like to propose standardizing on this nomenclature, as I think it
> makes a much more clear distinction between the steps and the code
> that runs them.
>
> I'd also propose that the following directory structure convention:
>
> features/
> features/step_matchers # step matchers ONLY
> features/support # env.rb, etc

I like the idea of a support directory!