[rspec-devel] cucumber steps and step matchers

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 20:04:26 EDT 2008

In cucumber, I've started to refer to the steps in the scenarios as
"steps", and the code that defines them "step matchers":

Scenario: blah
  Given this is a "step"

Given /this is step matcher/ do

I'd like to propose standardizing on this nomenclature, as I think it
makes a much more clear distinction between the steps and the code
that runs them.

I'd also propose that the following directory structure convention:

features/step_matchers # step matchers ONLY
features/support # env.rb, etc

Obviously everyone is free to organize things as they like, but I'd
like to see the cucumber generators lay things out like this (which
I'll be happy to implement if we agree on the convention).