[rspec-devel] Where to start?

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 09:49:39 EST 2008

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 3:25 AM, Matthias Hennemeyer
<mhennemeyer at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> i want to restart rspec development.
> Is there actually any particularly important area?
> Is eg performance still an issue?
> Would you point me somewhere?

Hey Matthias,

Thanks in advance.

Performance and Ruby 1.9 compatibility are two key things I want to
focus on in the coming weeks/months.

One problem we have with 1.9 is the new scoping rules that make it so that this:

module Foo
  module Bar
    class Baz

module Foo
  module Bar
    describe "something" do
      it "does something" do
        baz = Baz.new

blows up on Baz.new. You have to say Foo::Bar::Baz.new to get it to
work. I'd really like to figure out a way to discover the module scope
in which #describe is declared and include that module within the
ExampleGroup.

There are others as well.

And there are 240+ open tickets at
http://rspec.lighthouseapp.com/projects/5645, so feel free to find any