[rspec-devel] spec.opts

Yehuda Katz wycats at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 18:02:12 EDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 2:41 PM, David Chelimsky <dchelimsky at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 2:28 PM, Yehuda Katz <wycats at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Sure... if you want to do stuff like:
> >
> > require File.expand_path(File.join(File.dirname(__FILE__), "..",
> > "spec_helper")))
> >
> > This is super-unDRY and I'd like to be able to have this happen
> > automatically without having to do spec -O spec/spec.opts ...
> >
> > Is there a reason not to try and find spec/spec.opts and load it
> > automatically?
> >

> I don't object to looking for spec/spec.opts. My only concern is that
> if you are sitting in a different directory it won't get picked up
> (unless we start traversing up the path, something I would strongly
> object to), so you won't always get the same results unless you always
> work from the same directory, which would lead to its own brand of
> confusion.

Remember that this is only happening for people who are using spec.opts, and
we can be sure we make this limitation clear. For most users, this would
produce no changes.

> What if we were to add an rspec_options method (or similar) that you
> could wrap around the contents of spec_helper.rb:
>
> rspec_options do
> end

#ifdef rspec

 /me cries

This could ensure that even if the file is loaded more than once, it
> is only processed once.

I'm doing something like that now, but it makes me really unhappy.

> > -- Yehuda

> >> Doesn't File.expand_path solve this issue?
> >>
> >> Pat
> >

> > --
> > Yehuda Katz
> > Developer | Engine Yard