[rspec-devel] [ANN] Cucumber

aslak hellesoy aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 17:34:00 EDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 1:52 PM, Ben Mabey <ben at benmabey.com> wrote:

>> You can use the new "FIT table" feature to have several similar
>> scenarios with different values, or you can split them up
>> in several files. Check out the examples to see the tables in action.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Aslak
>>

> I must of missed the "FIT table" feature at my previous glances at cumber.
>  That is awesome!!  You have truly given me a reason to mess around with
> this at work now. ;)
>
> I'm curious on why you have changed 'Story' to 'Feature'.  Have you found
> that more customers relate to that wording better, or what is the
> motivation?

A story is first and foremost a tool for planning. It represents a
piece of valuable functionality and a future conversation about
fleshing out the details.
When they have moved through the Scrum/XP/Kanban board from the
backlog to done done done, they are thrown away. At this time
they have transmogrified into a running, tested feature - (or rather
added to new or existing features).

Software consists of (hopefully valuable) features - not stories.
Stories are just temporary artifacts that feed the augmentation of
features
in the software.

Let's say you have a backlog of 10 stories. Stuff people want to do.
When the stories are implemented, what you have is perhaps 4 features,
which have increased in scope over time. The features stick (in the
code and in the Cucumber feature files). The stories are forgotten and
that's ok.

I hope this clarifies a bit what I mean.

Aslak