[rspec-devel] BehaviourRunner and ExampleSuite

Brian Takita brian.takita at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 00:43:26 EDT 2007

On 9/22/07, Brian Takita <brian.takita at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/22/07, aslak hellesoy <aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The CHANGELOG says "Behaviour subclasses Test::Unit::TestCase".
> > However, when I look in the code, the only subclass of TestCase is
> > Example. There doesn't seem to be a Behaviour class at all anymore,
> > but there are plenty of variables in the code named 'behaviour'
> >
> > For a long while we have been referring to "it" blocks as "examples",
> > and they correspond to test_* methods in xUnit speak. Further, we used
> > to call the describe blocks "behaviours" and they correspond to Test
> > classes in xUnit speak.
> >
> > But now it looks like an "example" is analogous to a Test class?!?!
> Currently Example is the Example instance and Behaviour is the Example
> class. There is also a SharedBehaviour, which is a Module.
>
> Both the Example Class and SharedBehaviour include ExampleApi. It
> seems like ExampleApi should be renamed to Behaviour.
>
> I think ExampleCallbacks can be merged into ExampleApi.
>
> ExampleDefinition is used by both SharedBehaviour and the Example
> class. Example is the actual instance. It is created from an
> ExampleDefinition.
>
> ExampleFactory probably should be renamed back to BehaviourFactory.
> What do you think?
>
> ExampleMatcher should be renamed back to BehaviourMatcher and
> ExampleMatcher#example_description and should be removed as it doesn't
> seem to be used anymore.
>
> ExampleRunProxy is used by ExampleSuite run the Example block.
>
> ExampleShouldRaiseHandler handles should_raise options.
>
> ExampleSuite runs the Examples for the Example class.
I have resolved the issues with these "Example" objects, except the
ExampleMatcher, which was being used after all. I refactored it,
though.

I also removed the BehaviourRunner. There is only one call chain now,
which is through Test::Unit::AutoRunner.
This resolves the prepare being called several times issue.

$behaviour_runner is replaced by $rspec_options.
The prepare, run, and finish methods got moved to Options. Options
seems like the wrong name for that object now, since it does actions
such as running the examples.
I've had good success with this "central" object in several projects,
as it has centralized the internal state of the library.

Some names I've used in the past is Registry, Space, Manager (eww),
and Context (with rspec, there is a domain name conflict).

The ExampleSuite object is largely untouched, and still needs to be refactored.
Rspec adds two callbacks to the TestRunnerMediator object. The
callbacks call the Options#prepare and Options#finish methods.

How does everything look? Are there other areas of confusion?

Thanks,
Brian