[rspec-devel] BehaviourRunner and ExampleSuite

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 18:07:24 EDT 2007

On 9/22/07, aslak hellesoy <aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I've noticed that BehaviourRunner#prepare is invoked via two different chains:
> bin/spec -> CommandLine#run -> BehaviourRunner#run -> BehaviourRunner#prepare
> test/unit/testsuite.rb -> ExampleSute#run -> BehaviourRunner#prepare
> In one single run, #prepare gets called twice, and returns the second
> time because of the @already_prepared check.
> This is all quite confusing to me, and the number of delegators in
> ExampleSuite makes it even more confusing. Now that we're using
> Test::Unit's runner it occurs to me that we should get rid of our own
> "runner" stuff, but there still seems to be a lot of redundancy. The
> code is plain hard to understand.
> You who've been involved in the Test::Unit refactoring - are you
> planning to simplify things more and get rid of our own runner?

"You who've been inolved" has been primarily Brian. I've gone in and
tweaked some names here and there to clarify my own understanding, but
we definitely need to shine a light on things and get clarity for all
of us on where things are vis a vis refactoring towards using
test/unit runners, where they are going, and what a finish line looks