[rspec-devel] rspec extensions

Nick Kallen nick at pivotalsf.com
Sat Sep 15 14:20:02 EDT 2007

I can wait for the next release... When is it coming out? Perhaps we can
convince Rob to let you and I pair on this. I'd like to be involved so I get
some credit... ;)

I have a couple use cases for tags, but in general the idea is to be able to
run a smaller subset of tests so that you can check in more frequently.
Obvious partitions include "fast" and "slow" (or as I prefer, "smoke" and
"regression", which is not equivalent to "fast" and "slow"). Less obvious,
but equally valuable, is to partition your test suites by functionality
"verticals". For example, being able to run all accounting-related tests, or
user-related tests, or asset-related tests, etc. Often these "verticals" cut
across files and describe-blocks (at least, in rails, they cut across model,
view, helper, and controller specs--but typically also multiple models are
involved.).

----

I've also been wondering how hard it would be to make the test runner into a
scheduler. What if we could have four databases:

application_test_1, application_test_2, etc.

And have the test runner create 4 Rails environments on the fly and run
tests in parallel across them. Some thoughtworks people have been
parallelizing tests by running them all in individual transactions. The
problem here is that fixtures aren't inserted as transactions so it excludes
fixture-based tests. You can load the fixtures in transactions but since
Transactions involve full-table locks, in effect the tests don't run in
parallel. The "scheduling" approach seems to me more sensible. The only
issue is migrating 4 sep databases which can probably be done very rapidly
by means of schema.rb or a dump from one db to the next.