[rspec-devel] [ rspec-Feature Requests-13837 ] alias :running, :lambda

noreply at rubyforge.org noreply at rubyforge.org
Tue Sep 11 18:10:26 EDT 2007

Feature Requests item #13837, was opened at 2007-09-11 05:46
You can respond by visiting:
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=3152&aid=13837&group_id=797

Category: expectation module

Initial Comment:
For everyday Rspec "reads like english" purposes, aliasing lambda as "running" would make for some fun spec writing:

running { something_risky }.should raise_error
running { Fancy.operation }.should_not change(@simple, :factor)

or even

running { to_the_bathroom }.should_not change(person, :weight)

describe "A clear spec language" do
	it "should replace generic lowlevel language with intuitive goodies" do
  	running { 5.to_s }.call.should == lambda { 5.to_s }.call

Date: 2007-09-11 18:10

Message:
-1

While I value readability, I value idioms more.

lambda is at ruby's core and it's a common idiom - I don't want an alias for it, but everyone is free to make their own alias.

Comment By: Jay Levitt (jaylev)
Date: 2007-09-11 17:27

Message:
"run" doesn't read as English, though...

running {this}.should do_that

Comment By: Scott Taylor (smtlaissezfaire)