[rspec-devel] Dev Process (was Am I missing something with Heckle?)

Wincent Colaiuta win at wincent.com
Wed Oct 31 14:10:09 EDT 2007

On Oct 31, 2007, David Chelimsky wrote:

> These are good ideas Wincent and we'll consider them. Keep in mind
> that right now there are other priorities and this wouldn't happen
> likely until early '08. But the door is certainly open for this
> discussion.

Well, really just wanted to get it on the table, that's all. My main
concern is that when things happen outside of the control of the RSpec
team (eg. a compatibility-breaking Rails release) and the trunk isn't
ready for it then we have a problem. And the obvious solution is to
either:

- always keep the trunk in a releasable state (and do "risky" work on
other branches); or:

- do the "risky" work on the trunk but also have a stable, maintenance
branch that is ready to roll at any given time.

Personally *I* don't mind following the trunk when necessary, but I
still think it's important to cater for those people who only install
official releases.

Cheers,
Wincent