[rspec-devel] Dev Process (was Am I missing something with Heckle?)

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 11:07:16 EDT 2007

[moving this over to the rspec-devel list]

On Oct 31, 2007 9:56 AM, Wincent Colaiuta <win at wincent.com> wrote:
> El 31/10/2007, a las 15:40, "David Chelimsky" <dchelimsky at gmail.com>
> escribió:
>
> Recently with all of the activity on the story runner front I've
> thought that RSpec could benefit from a slightly more "branched"
> development process. At the moment it appears that *all* development
> activity occurs on the trunk, which means that when there are long
> periods between releases you have no choice but to live with the old
> version or sit on the bleeding edge.
>
> If RSpec had a "development" and "maintenance" branch (or "stable" and
> "devel"; "master" and "maint"; call them what you will) then it would
> be easier to contemplate intermediate maintenance releases while
> working on big new features which take a long time to get "baked in",
> like the story runner.

Actually, the pause has had little to do with the Story Runner. It's
been more closely related to a refactoring that started in a branch
and I OK'd merging into trunk long before it was ready.

> As an example, consider how the Rails 2.0 preview release came out and
> the trunk wasn't really ready to have a release cut from it for
> compatibility, so people have had to follow the trunk. It would have
> been nice to be able to cut a 1.0.9 release from a maintenance branch
> instead.

Yes, that's true.

> If the suckiness of Subversion's merge functionality is a problem then
> RSpec should consider moving to a different SCM, or at least layering
> one on top of the existing Subversion repo (ie. "the" Subversion repo
> continues to be the centralized distribution point, but the devs do
> the "real work" using Git).

We've been thinking of mercurial actually.

These are good ideas Wincent and we'll consider them. Keep in mind
that right now there are other priorities and this wouldn't happen
likely until early '08. But the door is certainly open for this
discussion.

Cheers,