[rspec-devel] Facets and/or Nested Describes

Brian Takita brian.takita at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 02:31:37 EDT 2007

I have to confess that I did not know about facets before reading
Ashley Moran's post:

Not knowing about the facets solution, I made a couple of feature
requests for nested describes:

Currently in trunk, Example is the base class and other examples
subclass. My proposal for the feature request is to have the
Behaviour#describe method creates a subclass of itself when passed a

The subclass then walks up its superclass chain and composes its
description from its part and the parts of its superclasses.

So facets are being used out there. How is that working out?

There seems to be some overlap between the facets and nested describe
block solution.
Is facets a better solution than nested describes, (i.e. more
semantically useful)?

Implementation-wise, it seems that Example subclassing can be a
solution to implementing facets. In addition, you would get before and
after callbacks. Does that make sense for facets?