[rspec-devel] In-browser editor for RSpec stories

aslak hellesoy aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 03:35:26 EDT 2007

Following David, Pat and the list's great work on the new plain text
stories, I felt I had to contribute something too:

http://blog.aslakhellesoy.com/2007/10/24/in-browser-editor-for-rspec-stories

This is actually something I started fiddling with at RailsConf EU,
but left in a very half-baked state. With the new plain text stories,
I think this can actually be useful.

Here is what I'm thinking: RSpec would be equipped by a tiny WEBrick
based webapp that lets you execute stories and get the result as HTML
- very much like classic RSpec. Take a look at the HTML - it's dead
simple.

Then, when it comes to the browser, some Javascript makes it all come
alive and lets the user edit the DOM-representation of the stories.
It's not implemented yet, but what I'm thinking is that the Javascript
could re-generate the story text(s) based on the current DOM and POST
it back to the browser. This would save the text to file (over the old
one) and possibly even do an svn commit.

WDYT?