[rspec-devel] Do we need more Matcher documentation? Do we need Matcher DSL?

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 14:39:53 EST 2007

On Nov 20, 2007 1:33 PM, Brian Takita <brian.takita at gmail.com> wrote:
> At the work watercooler, one of my coworkers told me that he had a
> difficult time learning how to use matchers.
> The use case is, I'm in a hurry and I want to have a custom matcher. I
> just want it to work. How do I do it?
>
> The general template of the matchers is a great general purpose
> pattern, but is a little daunting.
> Are there ways to make it easier to learn?

There is a poorly documented SimpleMatcher that lets you do limited
things in a hurry.

I think in the end it's just docs. Besides SimpleMatcher and maybe
additional wrappers similar to it, I really don't want to supply a
base matcher because I don't want matchers to be directly coupled to
the rest of rspec. That's part of the beauty of it in my view.

So we should definitely doc things better.