[rspec-devel] Git (was: [ANN] Lighthouse and Engine Yard sponsorships)

Kyle Hargraves philodespotos at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 20:12:12 EST 2007

On Nov 19, 2007 1:41 PM, Ian Dees <undees at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, Wincent.
> Many things that are good about Git are also good about Mercurial:

This is very true.

I fairly recently made the switch to git from hg, solely because of
the amazing branching support. With hg, I was ending up with lots of
cluttered directories with a number of cloned repos named
project_foo_feature, project_bar_feature, etc. Topic branches, as
Wincent mentioned, are just a natural part of development in git, and
it's made me a lot more productive. I can easily tuck away changes
that I'm not ready for others to see, I can stash what I was working
on so I can fix a quick 5 minute bug, I can quickly and easily edit my
past commits that I haven't pushed yet, etc.

This took me a few days to pick up, but now I really, really like the
fluidity of it.

However, beyond that, especially if that sort of feature isn't all
that enticing to the people doing the heavy lifting on rspec,
mercurial is just as good of a choice. I've been using it for about a
year and a half and have nothing but praise for it.

I think most of us who advocate distributed systems would be very
happy with either choice.