[rspec-devel] [ rspec-Bugs-11428 ] autotest with --drb and --color

noreply at rubyforge.org noreply at rubyforge.org
Sun Nov 18 21:45:19 EST 2007

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=3149&aid=11428&group_id=797

Initial Comment:
No color is seen when using autotest with an options file that contains both --drb and --color

Comment By: Chad Humphries (spicycode)
Date: 2007-11-18 21:45

Message:
Moved to http://rspec.lighthouseapp.com/projects/5645-rspec/tickets/46-11428-autotest-with-drb-and-color#ticket-46-2

Comment By: Richard Poirier (richpoirier)
Date: 2007-08-20 16:39

Message:
I have the same problem running "ruby script/spec spec/ --drb --colour"

I'm running:
Vista 32-bit
ruby 1.8.6
rails 1.2.3
win32console 1.0.8
rspec 1.0.8

I found a workaround, but don't really understand why it works. Maybe it can help someone really fix the bug though.

I add "require 'Win32/Console/ANSI'" before the last line in my spec
file and change the STDOUT parameter in the last line to $stdout.

So my <project>/script/spec looks like this:

#!/usr/bin/env ruby
$LOAD_PATH.unshift(File.expand_path(File.dirname(__FILE__) + "/../
vendor/plugins/rspec/lib"))
require 'spec'
require 'Win32/Console/ANSI'
::Spec::Runner::CommandLine.run(ARGV, STDERR, $stdout, true, true)

It's not perfect. The first run will print the output to the console
that spec_server is running in. All subsequent runs will print to the
correct console though. I couldn't figure out why it was doing this
but the way it works is good enough for me until the bug is really fixed.

Comment By: Scott Taylor (smtlaissezfaire)
Date: 2007-06-09 20:54

Message:
OS X.4.9
Ruby 1.8.6
rspec trunk (@ rev. 2087)
rspec_on_rails trunk
autotest 3.6.0

This bug has been around since Nick Seiger's original
plugin.  David C. and I have talked about it before on the
mailing list.

I would have written a spec, but I got intimidated by the
idea of mocking DRB, Autotest, and color values given by the
terminal.

Sorry that you had to drop in that boilerplate message.  I'm
sorry that it's even a boiler plate message.

Comment By: Scott Taylor (smtlaissezfaire)

Date: 2007-06-08 05:14

Message:
Before investigating this we need to know the versions of all
relevant software you are using, for example:

* OS X 10.4.9
* Ruby 1.8.6
* RSpec 1.8.2 or RSpec trunk r1643
* Spec::Rails 1.8.2 or Spec::Rails tag r1234...
* Rails 1.2.3 or Rails edge r5645
* Whatever other relevant software.

Without this information it's like solving 1 equation (your
question) with 5 unknown variables (the versions).

We strongly recommend that you use the latest released version of
RSpec, alternatively the subversion trunk (if you're the bleeding
edge kind of person).