[rspec-devel] [ rspec-Bugs-15604 ] Cannot use console colouring mode without "win32console" gem on Windows.

noreply at rubyforge.org noreply at rubyforge.org
Tue Nov 13 11:26:59 EST 2007

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=3149&aid=15604&group_id=797

Category: runner module

Initial Comment:
Cannot use console colouring mode without "win32console" gem on Windows.

Hi guys! I've written renderer for rspec colouring output, but I cannot use it on Windows platform. Please add opportunity to use colouring mode on Windows without "win32console" gem!

The problem is in base_text_formatter.rb:

def colour=(colour)
     @colour = colour
     begin ; require 'Win32/Console/ANSI' if @colour && PLATFORM =~ /win32/ ; rescue LoadError ;  raise "You must gem install win32console to use colour on Windows" ; end

Date: 2007-11-13 11:26

Message:
This makes no sense. You must install the gem to have console colour on windows. The error message even tells you that.

Or tell us how to have colour support without the gem - I don't think it's possible.