[rspec-devel] Stories vs. examples

Bryan Helmkamp bryan at brynary.com
Wed Nov 7 18:19:36 EST 2007

On Nov 7, 2007, at 5:05 PM, Daniel De Aguiar wrote:
> Scenario: admin can retrieve local partner data
>   Given a user is authenticated as an admin
>
>   The user is able to retrieve a listing of local partners.
>

> To me this captures the intent of the high-level requirement without
> committing to an implementation early. To me stories are about
> 'What'  is wanted (requirements) as opposed to 'How' it is done
> (implementation).

When testing, we're constantly choosing medium points between
"Application.should work" and a much more fine-grained level. This
seems more like a Story than a Scenario. For example:

"As an admin, I want to retrieve a listing of local partners."

Scenarios would then be written to flesh out edge cases like "What if
the partner is currently blah bleh blah blah?"

-Bryan

--
http://brynary.com -- My blog