[rspec-devel] RSpec inside JRuby

aslak hellesoy aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com
Wed May 23 12:33:23 EDT 2007

On 5/23/07, David Chelimsky <dchelimsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/23/07, Nick Sieger <nicksieger at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 5/23/07, aslak hellesoy <aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > The fine JRuby team declared at RailsConf that they will bundle RSpec
> > > with JRuby when it ships. That's awesome, thanks again guys.
> > >
> > > I hope this can be the RSpec 1.0.1 version (not yet released) - it has
> > > some minor tweaks that are needed to get all of RSpec's specs to run
> > > on JRuby. (This is something Ola Bini and I paired on at RailsConf).
> > > We'll release 1.0.1 if the JRuby team ask us for it.
> > >
> > > I am currently able to run *all* of RSpec core's specs on JRuby (HEAD).
> > >
> > > LET'S KEEP IT THAT WAY.
> > >
> > > I'm asking that all RSpec developers make sure RSpec always runs
> > > against JRuby until they ship 1.0. Here is how:
> > >
> > > svn co http://svn.codehaus.org/jruby jruby

This should be:

svn co http://svn.codehaus.org/jruby/trunk jruby

> > > cd jruby/jruby
> > > ant clean
> > > ant
> > > # put JRuby's bin dir on your PATH
> > > cd ../testsuites/rspec
> > > mkdir target
> > > jruby -S rake checkout_code
>
> I get the following error executing this line.
>
> Error opening script file:
> /Users/david/projects/ruby/jruby/trunk/jruby/bin/rake (No such file or
> directory)

Something went wrong in your checkout it seems. Or your PATH is wrong.
Try the corrected line above. Do a which jruby to see where jruby is.
This dir should be the one you checked out, and it should have rake,
gem etc. If not your PATH is wrong.

> So I tried
>
>   which rake
>   => /opt/local/bin/rake
>
> Then this:
>
> $ jruby -S /opt/local/bin/rake checkout_code

If jruby -S rake doesn't work, nothing will work.

> Error opening script file:
> /Users/david/projects/ruby/jruby/trunk/jruby/bin/opt/local/bin/rake
> (No such file or directory)
>
> I was able to get it to work w/ just:
>
>   rake checkout_code

That won't work, because it will install the hpricot gem in ruby, not jruby

> But then I did this:
>
> $ jruby bin/spec spec -c
> /Users/david/projects/ruby/jruby/trunk/jruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:34:in
> `require': no such file to load -- hpricot (LoadError)
> $ gem list hpricot

Again, "gem" will run ruby, not jruby. All your problems have the same
reason - you don't have the appropriate bin files.