[rspec-devel] RSpec inside JRuby

aslak hellesoy aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com
Wed May 23 12:06:00 EDT 2007

On 5/23/07, Nick Sieger <nicksieger at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/23/07, aslak hellesoy <aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > The fine JRuby team declared at RailsConf that they will bundle RSpec
> > with JRuby when it ships. That's awesome, thanks again guys.
> >
> > I hope this can be the RSpec 1.0.1 version (not yet released) - it has
> > some minor tweaks that are needed to get all of RSpec's specs to run
> > on JRuby. (This is something Ola Bini and I paired on at RailsConf).
> > We'll release 1.0.1 if the JRuby team ask us for it.
> >
> > I am currently able to run *all* of RSpec core's specs on JRuby (HEAD).
> >
> > LET'S KEEP IT THAT WAY.
> >
> > I'm asking that all RSpec developers make sure RSpec always runs
> > against JRuby until they ship 1.0. Here is how:
> >
> > svn co http://svn.codehaus.org/jruby jruby
> > cd jruby/jruby
> > ant clean
> > ant
> > # put JRuby's bin dir on your PATH
> > cd ../testsuites/rspec
> > mkdir target
> > jruby -S rake checkout_code
> > cd target/rspec
> > jruby bin/spec spec -c
> >
> > I'm getting a bunch of hpricot warnings but otherwise it's 100%
> > green!!!!!!!!!!!:
> >
> >  gems/hpricot-0.5.140-jruby/lib/hpricot/parse.rb:15 warning: multiple
> > values for a block parameter (4 for 1)
>
> This is also in CI: http://jruby.thresher.com/browse/RSPEC-TRUNK
>
> Although since RSpec checkout is part of the build, it won't get run
> when RSpec code changes at the moment.
>
> Right now there are 5 failures which come and go, it seems like we
> (JRuby) have some randomly recurring issue with Object#inspect or
> something like that, because the actual output only differs by #<...>.
>  One of us will have to look at it.

I talked to Tom and Charles about this in Portland, and I have a vague
idea about what it *might* be. Search for "rescue nil # Help windows"
in trunk/rspec/spec. Try to comment out these rescus completely and
see if you can run the specs. You should be able to (for some reason
Windows can't delete these files).

Aslak