[rspec-devel] RSpec inside JRuby

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Wed May 23 12:00:44 EDT 2007

On 5/23/07, Nick Sieger <nicksieger at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/23/07, aslak hellesoy <aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > The fine JRuby team declared at RailsConf that they will bundle RSpec
> > with JRuby when it ships. That's awesome, thanks again guys.
> >
> > I hope this can be the RSpec 1.0.1 version (not yet released) - it has
> > some minor tweaks that are needed to get all of RSpec's specs to run
> > on JRuby. (This is something Ola Bini and I paired on at RailsConf).
> > We'll release 1.0.1 if the JRuby team ask us for it.
> >
> > I am currently able to run *all* of RSpec core's specs on JRuby (HEAD).
> >
> > LET'S KEEP IT THAT WAY.
> >
> > I'm asking that all RSpec developers make sure RSpec always runs
> > against JRuby until they ship 1.0. Here is how:
> >
> > svn co http://svn.codehaus.org/jruby jruby
> > cd jruby/jruby
> > ant clean
> > ant
> > # put JRuby's bin dir on your PATH
> > cd ../testsuites/rspec
> > mkdir target
> > jruby -S rake checkout_code

I get the following error executing this line.

Error opening script file:
/Users/david/projects/ruby/jruby/trunk/jruby/bin/rake (No such file or
directory)

So I tried

  which rake
  => /opt/local/bin/rake

Then this:

$ jruby -S /opt/local/bin/rake checkout_code
Error opening script file:
/Users/david/projects/ruby/jruby/trunk/jruby/bin/opt/local/bin/rake
(No such file or directory)

I was able to get it to work w/ just:

  rake checkout_code

But then I did this:

$ jruby bin/spec spec -c
/Users/david/projects/ruby/jruby/trunk/jruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:34:in
`require': no such file to load -- hpricot (LoadError)
$ gem list hpricot

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

hpricot (0.5)
    a swift, liberal HTML parser with a fantastic library

So it looks like jruby is not able to see my existing path. Suggestions?