[rspec-devel] new pending feature (pending release)

Bob Cotton bob.cotton at rallydev.com
Tue Jun 26 00:30:27 EDT 2007

"David Chelimsky" <dchelimsky at gmail.com> writes:

> I just added a new "pending" feature. It's in trunk (rev 2118+) and
> will be part of the 1.0.6 release (*probably* within the next week).
>
> Read all about it:
> http://blog.davidchelimsky.net/articles/2007/06/23/pending-insert-reason-here

A very nice feature.

Here's a twist to consider:

We use rspec for functional testing of a large-ish
application. Sometimes we find bugs that may take some time to be
resolved, a few days, a few weeks. Once the bug is identified, I don't
want to see it failing the nightly builds, day after day.

pending() might be useful here, as I can say:

  pending("Bug 12345 being fixed")

But then I would have to wrap this in some conditional logic that
tests if the bug is actually fixed.

But, what if pending took a block:

  pending("Bug 12345 being fixed") do
    actual.should == expected
  end

and pending would fail (not with a pending exception) once the code
inside the block started passing?

That way we could mark something as a know issue, and be notified when
that thing was fixed and go removed the pending.

Thoughts?

- Bob