[rspec-devel] Are rspec code actually "driven" out from the spec incrementally?

Huang Liang exceedhl at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 22:57:18 EDT 2007

I did not see that it is impossible. It's exciting for me to know that a
tool can be actually driven out by itself because I have not done such kind
of thing before. Many tools like CruiseControl eat their own dog food, but
that happens after the tool has been in a minimal usable state.

What I guess is if I want to use rspec to drive out the rspec, a spec might
look like:

describe Something, " ..." do
      it "..." do
        # setup fixture
        # action and verify using should...

but in order to make this pass, actually we have to let rspec support
several base functionalities like describe, it, should, which might be too
much for just finishing one test. And when you are trying to fullfill this
spec(which is like a test), you are not focusing on the functionality
described by the spec, you have to work on some other functionality to make
this spec work first and see the test result.

Moreover, if we are using stories to manage the requirements of rspec, we
may found the work contained in one story is not a vertical slice of the
whole functionality. The story contains much other functionalities that
spreads horizontally across different parts, which makes the story not
small, very testable and estimable and describing a very clear business

The above is just my guess. I'd like to know how the dev team actually drive
out this great tool.