[rspec-devel] Feedback on spec_ui and screenshots

Bob Cotton bob.cotton at rallydev.com
Tue Jun 19 18:14:56 EDT 2007

Having just implemented a screenshot capability into Selenium RC
(which, BTW is cross platform and uses Java's Robot class), I have
some feedback on the implementation in spec_ui

Because the selenium server is doing the screenshot, then encoding the
data and returning it over the wire to the test driver, taking a
screenshot for after(:each) seems run a bit slow.

It would be nice if it only took screenshots when there was a
failure. Unfortunately there are no hooks to configure formatters
other than the command line, or are there?

Also, we tend to run both GUI specs and non-gui specs in the same run,
so hooking up the screenshot in Spec::Runner.configure is cumbersome.
Sort of a variant on not being able to configure the reporter.

I could always subclass the Screenshot formatter. Is there a better