[rspec-devel] [ rspec-Bugs-11259 ] windows?: autotest suppresses output

noreply at rubyforge.org noreply at rubyforge.org
Tue Jul 10 20:31:49 EDT 2007

Initial Comment:
When I run rspec under autotest (with the change I noted in 11258), it seems to run okay; it detects specs that should be run anew; it runs them (as evidenced by test.log); but it never, ever shows me any output from the spec runner.  Even a test known to fail shows me nothing.

If I use rspec without autotest, everything works fine.  If I use Test::Unit instead of rspec, autotest shows me the full test runner output.  So it must be a problem with the way rspec and autotest interact.

(I don't know if this is actually a Windows problem, but it seems plausible.)

Comment By: Adam Grant (krypticus)
Date: 2007-07-10 17:31

Yeah. Same here. I don't get any output from the autotest, except to tell me what it's running. Once I remove --colour from the spec.opts line, I get it working just fine.

Windows XP Pro w/SP2
Rspec 1.0.5 (r2081)
Rails 1.2.3
Ruby 1.8.6
ZenTest 3.6.0

Comment By: Erik Ostrom (eostrom)
Date: 2007-05-31 21:44

Another useful piece of information I could have given you,
it turns out, is the contents of my spec.opts file, which
starts with '--colour'.  With that removed, the bug goes away.

That's probably good enough for me.  In case it'll help
track down this problem now or in the future, this is as far
as I got:

  * In run_tests() in autotest.rb, the loop that's supposed
to loop over characters in the test command's output gets
EOF immediately, i.e., there's apparently no output from the
spec script.

  * In colour() in base_text_formatter.rb, @colour and
output_to_tty? are both true, so presumably the
colour-formatted string is returned.

I don't know what happens to it after it's returned and
before it gets output.

Comment By: Erik Ostrom (eostrom)
Date: 2007-05-31 20:46

Sorry, I forgot.  I think I've got the latest everything:

* Windows XP SP2
* Ruby 1.8.6
* Rails 1.2.3
* RSpec and Spec::Rails r2064
* ZenTest 3.6.0

Date: 2007-05-31 12:27

Before investigating this we need to know the versions of all
relevant software you are using, for example:

* OS X 10.4.9
* Ruby 1.8.6
* RSpec 1.8.2 or RSpec trunk r1643
* Spec::Rails 1.8.2 or Spec::Rails tag r1234...
* Rails 1.2.3 or Rails edge r5645
* Whatever other relevant software.

Without this information it's like solving 1 equation (your
question) with 5 unknown variables (the versions).

We strongly recommend that you use the latest released version of
RSpec, alternatively the subversion trunk (if you're the bleeding
edge kind of person).