[rspec-devel] [ rspec-Patches-12010 ] Nicer failure message formatting

noreply at rubyforge.org noreply at rubyforge.org
Thu Jul 5 04:47:27 EDT 2007

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=3151&aid=12010&group_id=797

Category: expectation module

Initial Comment:
Patch that implements more readable failure formatting as discussed in this thread:

http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/rspec-users/2007-June/002153.html

Date: 2007-07-05 08:47

Message:
On http://pastie.textmate.org/76180 you describe this:

expected: blah
     got: other

But I'm seeing this:

expected: blah
got     : other

Of the two, I prefer the former.

Also, this is all good for equality, but not as good for comparisons:

expected: > 6
     got: 5

I'd rather see:

expected: > 6
     got:   5

I won't have time to get this right immediately, but if you want to take another crack at a patch based on these suggestions, I'd be happy to apply it.