[rspec-devel] [ rspec-Feature Requests-8028 ] version mismatch checking too strict

noreply at rubyforge.org noreply at rubyforge.org
Sun Jan 21 18:32:48 EST 2007

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=3152&aid=8028&group_id=797

Category: rails plugin
Group: None

Initial Comment:
When building from trunk, sometimes the gem gets a version update before the rails plugin or vice-versa. Can version checking be expanded to a range check so that the plugin only rails the version check if versions of rspec that are clearly outside the acceptable range (i.e., versions that will break the rails plugin) are rejected?

I'm building from trunk and trying to be a good citizen about testing the latest and greatest, but I have three active and two dormant projects using rspec. Relaxing the requirement would save a lot of time.

Date: 2007-01-21 23:32

Message:
For the time being at least, we really need to keep this strict because rspec and rspec_on_rails development are so tightly bound. Anytime something under the hood changes, it might change in both places. Once we hit 1.0 this will be less of an issue and we can revisit this.

In the mean time, what I do when developing against the trunk is to install rspec and rspec_as_rails as gems in the rails app. You can use the rake spec:* tasks or the vendor/plugins/rspec_on_rails/bin/spec command.

Hope that's helpful.

Cheers,