[rspec-devel] [ rspec-Feature Requests-7496 ] Need a way to freeze the RSpec gem in a rails project

noreply at rubyforge.org noreply at rubyforge.org
Fri Jan 19 05:13:34 EST 2007

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=3152&aid=7496&group_id=797

Category: rails plugin
Group: None

Initial Comment:
The freeze_other_gems task doesn't work with RSpec, and my host doesn't have the RSpec gem installed.  Therefore, when I upload my application, I can't run -any- rake tasks until I delete the rspec_on_rails_plugin.  Needless to say, I can't then run my specs on the host server.

Date: 2007-01-19 05:13

Message:
I have documented how to do this here:
http://rubyforge.org/viewvc/trunk/doc/src/documentation/rails/install.page?root=rspec&view=markup

After the next release, you'll see it here:
http://rspec.rubyforge.org/documentation/rails/install.html

Please note that the described approach will only work from release 0.7.6, so for no you have to use the trunk HEAD approach.

I'm closing this. Please reopen this issue if it doesn't work for you.

Date: 2007-01-18 21:38

Message:
You can do this by either unpacking the gem in vendor/plugins or by installing the rspec core as a plugin:

ruby script/plugin install svn://rubyforge.org/var/svn/rspec/tags/REL_0_7_5_1/rspec

The only trick is that if you don't have any rspec gem installed you'll have to use the spec command in vendor/plugins/rspec/bin/spec.

I'll leave this open until we add more explicit support for running rspec and rspec_on_rails as plugins with no gem installed, but the above info should get you functional in the mean time.