[rspec-devel] Feedback on article

Nick Sieger nicksieger at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 11:34:37 EST 2007

On 1/2/07, aslak hellesoy <aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/2/07, Nick Sieger <nicksieger at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi, I wrote an article [1] outlining some tricks I've developed adding
> > custom extensions into RSpec.  But they all hinge upon
> > Spec::Runner::Context#before_context_eval and the
> > @context_eval_module ivar.  So I was wondering whether this mechanism
> can be
> > relied on in the future, or whether this is even the best way to wire in
> > such extensions.  If you have a recommended way I'd love to hear about
> it so
> > I can incorporate it into my article and make sure I don't highlight the
> > wrong way of doing things.
> >
> Regarding the stability of the API - I'm a little worried about having
> extensions use private variables.

Agreed.  I was still motivated to post, but I suspected you would think that
about the monkeypatching and the direct use of the ivar.  I think I'll put a
small disclaimer at the top of the post, and keep it up to date to follow
whatever you guys think would be appropriate for an extension point API.