[rspec-devel] [ rspec-Bugs-8905 ] Bug w/ spec --drb in RC1 0.8.0

noreply at rubyforge.org noreply at rubyforge.org
Tue Feb 27 09:48:09 EST 2007

Category: rails plugin

Initial Comment:

The bug occurs when running spec --drb in a rails project.  If the drb server is started, and then the spec --drb command issued, the command fails, saying "No server running", even though the server *is* running.

This bug does not occur all of the time - so far, I've only seen it in this version with a controller spec (I haven't tried view specs, but models seem to work).

Here is how I reproduced it (with a new rails project):

uninstall the rspec gem
svn co svn://rubyforge.org/var/svn/rspec/tags/REL_0_8_0_RC1/gem
gem install gem/rspec-0.8.0-RC1.gem

create new rails project
edit config/database.yml for sqlite3, adding a development and test database

rake rails:freeze:edge

./script/plugin install svn://rubyforge.org/var/svn/rspec/trunk/rspec
./script/plugin install svn://rubyforge.org/var/svn/rspec/trunk/

./script/generate rspec
./script/generate rspec_controller MyController
rake db:migrate (notice that I have no tables in the database,
although I don't think that it matters...)
rake db:test:prepare
spec --drb spec/controllers/my_controller_controller_spec.rb =>
"No server running"

I've also created a screen cast of this, but my G4 is slow (the
screencast is 6 minutes long)...so you might want to skip ahead of
the downloading of edge rails, etc...

I notice that if I delete all specify's and the corresponding spec's
in the spec file, the error is no longer present.  Look at this
screen cast for an example:

My setup:

rails edge,
Mac OS X.4.8
ruby 1.8.5 (2006-12-25 patchlevel 12) [powerpc-darwin8.8.0]
RSpec-0.8.0 (r1497) - BDD for Ruby

Date: 2007-02-27 14:48

The checked-out rspec and rspec_on_rails were at release 1536.

Since I was running r1497 as a gem, but had a different
version checked out, I'm going to close the bug (or request
that it be closed by the admins).