[rspec-devel] [ rspec-Feature Requests-8696 ] --order option

noreply at rubyforge.org noreply at rubyforge.org
Fri Feb 16 07:23:31 EST 2007

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=3152&aid=8696&group_id=797

Category: runner / command line

Initial Comment:
Right now, when spec is executed with a directory, the spec files are run in alphabetical order. I would like to be able to specify a custom order for several reasons:

First, because being able to run specs in say, reverse alphabetical order would allow me to identify potential dependencies between specs.

Second, because I sometimes want to run the most recently modified spec files first, so I can get early feedback. This is especially important for slow-running specs (such as Watir ones). At work we have monkey-patched Spec::Runner::Reporter to turn on a lamp at the first failure.

Unless someone wants more ordering options than alphabetical/timestamp and ascending/descending, I think it can be done like this:

--order alphabetical:ascending (default)
--order alphabetical:descending
--order timestamp:ascending
--order timestamp:descending