[rspec-devel] christmas cleaning

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 10:07:41 EST 2007

On Dec 1, 2007 8:06 AM, aslak hellesoy <aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com> wrote:
> hi all,
>
> we've all been cleaning up and deleting crufty code lately - good!
>
> i'd like to continue this so we get a leaner and faster codebase. suggestions:

> It has too many references to various things. I'd like to make it know
> less and move the references to the objects that use them instead of
> asking options

+1

> 2) Reporter
> It's an unnecessary middleman. The classes talking to it should talk
> directly with the formatters instead and we should delete Reporter.
> Instead of getting options through the constructor it's cleaner to
> pass an array of formatters to the various run/execute methods.

+1

This is how the Story Runner already works. It lets you register
listeners. The ones it uses ignore everything they're not interested
in w/ method_missing.

I wonder if we can have a single html formatter that serves both
stories and examples. Especially now that we have nested example
groups.

> 3) Example
> I'd like to merge this class with ExampleMethods and get rid of
> Example. This requires some changes in SharedExampleGroup.

+1

We've discussed this off-line, so to fill everyone else in ... we now
have two concepts for sharing: nested example groups and shared
example groups. The difference is that shared groups share
before/after, helper methods and examples, whereas nested groups share
everything but the examples.

If we define methods instead of storing examples, we can simply
inherit everything and pass down a lists of methods to run and not to
run. This would align these mechanisms and simplify things a great
deal.

We started in this direction but discovered that auto-generated
example docstrings didn't work any more (e.g. specify {foo.should ==
bar ). I have an idea of how we can solve that (other than removing
the feature :) )

> 4) Lazy loading
> In order to run faster we should require files as needed. We don't
> need to load all the formatters. There may be other classes too.

+1

> 5) Move circularly dependent classes in expectations and matchers into
> one directory.

-1

Circular dependencies are a problem in things that get deployed as
separate packages, not just because they're in separate directories. I
don't think this is a problem here. And it's nice to have things
separated. Merging these would buy us nothing and add confusion, IMHO.