[rspec-devel] christmas cleaning

aslak hellesoy aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 08:06:07 EST 2007

hi all,

we've all been cleaning up and deleting crufty code lately - good!

i'd like to continue this so we get a leaner and faster codebase. suggestions:

It has too many references to various things. I'd like to make it know
less and move the references to the objects that use them instead of
asking options

2) Reporter
It's an unnecessary middleman. The classes talking to it should talk
directly with the formatters instead and we should delete Reporter.
Instead of getting options through the constructor it's cleaner to
pass an array of formatters to the various run/execute methods.

3) Example
I'd like to merge this class with ExampleMethods and get rid of
Example. This requires some changes in SharedExampleGroup.

4) Lazy loading
In order to run faster we should require files as needed. We don't
need to load all the formatters. There may be other classes too.

5) Move circularly dependent classes in expectations and matchers into
one directory.

These are the things off the top of my head. Thoughts?