[Rspec-devel] RSpec and autotest

Nick Sieger nicksieger at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 17:57:15 EDT 2006

On 9/13/06, aslak hellesoy <aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com> wrote:

> I haven't really used autotest, but from what I know it runs your
> tests/specs in the background while you're hacking away right?

Yes, every time it saves a file.  It runs individual failing specs until
they succeed (the idea being that the change you just made that broke them
will still be really fresh in your mind), and then once the tests succeed it
re-runs all, and repeats.  I haven't been using it very long but so far it
sure beats switching to a console and typing "rake" all the time.  Guess I'm
just lazy :).

My main concern is that anything we add to RSpec should have a
> regular maintainer and avoid the risk of things stopping to work when
> autotest/rails/rspec changes. We'd need a regular maintainer (you?) of
> this stuff.

No problem.  I'd be fine with maintaining it, and I also certainly don't
expect you to take every load of crap I throw at you guys :).  I'm also
interested to see how the ZenTest guys respond to it, as the code is brittle
right now, not taking of intentional extension points in autotest.  It's
probably not appropriate to release with RSpec on Rails in it's current
form.

/Nick