[Rspec-devel] Rails controller testing questions

Jonathan del Strother maillist at steelskies.com
Fri Sep 8 11:23:24 EDT 2006

I'm fine with model specs, but for some reason I'm struggling a bit
making controller specs feel right.  I'd love to see some more
examples if anyone has any they're willing to share.

Also, I have a few questions...

--

Is there any difference between

     should_have_tag 'input', :attributes => {:id => 'asset_name'}

and

     response.body.should_have_tag 'input', :attributes => {:id =>
'asset_name'}

?

Both styles are used on http://rspec.rubyforge.org/tools/rails.html

--

Is it possible to get route recognition testing to work in rspec?  eg -
assert_recognizes({:controller => 'assets', :action => 'new'},

--

How about named urls?  Being able to use
get assets_url

--

Finally, is it just me, or is rspec controller testing missing a
bunch of useful functionality?  For example, in rails functional

I really want to like rspec for controller testing, but I keep on
running into little annoyances like the above.  Am I the only one?

Jon